Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hay, Nanay!

"Kaning puti nga lingin, para ni sa hilanat. Kaning capsules, sa allergy. Basin mangatol ka didto. Unya, kaning isa ka capsule nga pula ug puti, para ni sa ubo. Vitamins na dayon ning uban."

(These white and circular ones are for fever and colds. These capsules, for allergy. You might get itchy in there. Take the red capsules when you have coughs. The rest are vitamins.)

My eyes were fixated on the TV while my mom was very busy explaining all those tablets and capsules to me. It was Wowowee time. "Wheel of Fortune" to be specific--that segment which makes us laugh and sob at the same time. Oh, Valerie was just ravishing. Pokwang was an Anabelle Rama that day.

"Naminaw ka nako Toy?" (Are you listening to me?) She may have noticed I wasn't paying attention at all. "Oo Ma. Kadungog ko." (Yes Ma, I heard you.) I lied.
"Isa ka dosena ni nga brief. Basin wala na pud mabilin ani. Naa pud tulo ka panyo, ug 4 ka labakara. Ayaw walaa ha? Ambot kapila na taka gipalitan ani."

Oh yes, I am very careless. I easily lose things, for reasons I am never sure of. I lost a celphone, a digital camera and a wallet which contained my ATM card and some hard cash. My mother usually says, "Kung mabilin lang na imong koan Toy, dugay ra na gitangag sa iro."

That was pretty embarassing. Hay Nanay.

What made me ponder on these things? I've been having colds lately. Headaches too. I was advised to take flu shots, but I never did. So I decided to unpack the "first aid kit" my mom prepared for me. There were several tablets of various colors and sizes. Which is which? I tried to remember what my mom told me that day. Oh, I only remembered that contestant who suddenly slipped on the floor while doing his performance. I thought it was pretty funny. Just that.

Mom is not here, so I tried to work things on my own. I checked one of the labels--Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Medical jargon. What on earth does this mean? Hmmm...I knew where to go.

Wikipedia. Search. Enter. There.

It turned out that Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride was not the one I needed. Haha. Wrong choice. So I rummaged over the kit again. After few minutes, I found what I've been looking for.

Oh, how I miss my mother so much. I miss her piyaren a badak. I miss her pinakbet every morning, and the cups of milk she makes for me especially when she finds me in the living room wide awake at 12:30 in the morning. I miss her bang on my door every morning...and of course, her "Bo-boan taman ka ug tubig karon" (do you want me to pour you with a pail of water for you to wake up?) which serves as my alarm clock for several years already.

She is a "stage mother". She's with me when I take scholarships, attend competitions or do school work. She may not totally understand what I'm doing, or the things I'm writing; nevertheless, her mere presence boosts my morale and makes me feel better.

I love you Mamang. Thank you for the tireless efforts to give the best for me and for the rest of us in the family. May Allah bless you always. Long live Ma! This post is for you! You're the best Nanay, Omie, Mom, Mommy, Mamang, Mama, Ermatz in the world!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hay.. ur mom is just like any other mom, like mine. i remember my mom everytime she visits me at the boarding house. she keeps on reminding about petty things like i'm a five-year old. it gets into my nerves sometimes, but we can never blame them. she tells me "magiging nanay din ako" so i'll feel how she feels. and then i would say "okay, i'll wait for that" and throw her a teasing look. heheh..
you surely miss your mom..

Rashid Vedra Pandi said...

Ate Ai! Thank you for reading my blogs. I appreciate it. :)

Anyhow, I lost your blog site. Pakibigay naman oh. I have been following it, pero I lost track. Friendster blog ba yun?

Happy New Year! I wish you nothing but the best for the year to come. May you have a blessed year 2009 ahead...your family too. :)

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

my mom may be little bit different, she shows her affection in another way. she never poured me water to wake me up, but my brothers did. my mother let me to be independent since i was young although i am the last and the only girl at home.
so, u miss ur mom, right? me too..

she must be proud of you!! that's what my mom always tells me whenever I call her..

^_^

Lemuel Kit said...

she reminds me of my mom as well... hahaha... i'm having cough and colds right now. im not telling her about this coz she might worry. just got a text from her this morning telling me to drink a medicine for my cough and colds. do you think she just guessed? or it was really a motherly instinct?

Anonymous said...

Hehe..igsoon jud ta. kalimtanon...hahaha..i lost a very expensive ring lately...very very expensive..my mom was unbelievably mad..haha! i miss you toy..hapit nata magkita..ingat always! bys c ate karon, dili nata kaau mka.chat..but ure always in my heart and prayers..love you! - te suey

Anonymous said...

I missed my mom too...

ingat kuya!

H said...

how ironic it that. even if we complain about stuff with our moms about being all protective and treating us like kids, admit it or not there's a part of us that likes it. well i know i do. specially that im not with my mom. haaay, how i miss her. i miss my family, their abroad. u should be lucky to be with ur mothers everyday.

Jing said...

hello kuya rash!i became nostalgic while reading your blog. i missed everything that my nanay does for me, lalo na yung paghilot everytime i'm sick galing MSU. hahai...

Congrats Kuya Rash for winning in the recent SSG Elections. We'll pray for you and for the whole MSU Community...God bless us all.Happy sem break!