Sunday, July 27, 2008

Culture Shock and Adjustments

I've written a lot already, I know. But here I am, facing the monitor again and much ready to scribble and put into words the thoughts that cloud my mind. What I am about to share is a very odd story. It may sound funny and absurd, but just let me be.

As usual, I was awakened by the sound of my alarm clock today. I usually set it to beep at 6:00AM in the morning since breakfast at the Miller Dining Hall (the place where I eat my meals) is served from 7AM-8AM. Quite early, huh? I got up, and unfolded the blinds by the window. The sun isn't up yet, but it's own its way. I grabbed my towel and rushed to the bathroom. All the residents in the 10th floor have a common bathroom, a large one. It has 6 toilets, 5 wash areas with a huge mirror across them and 10 shower areas. No one was inside yet and that was okay. My co-scholar from Thailand who happens to be in the 10th floor always whines about the bathroom. Shower areas are covered with just a piece of thick shower curtain, and he doesn't like the idea that much. He always says, "In Thailand, we always have doors in the bathrooms." I share the same sentiments with him, but what can we do? We're not in our home countries so we really need to adapt. But I tell you, it's really really awkward. Haha. I hit the shower and turned it as warm as possible. I shower so quick these days. I don't waste time. Time here is so valuable. You can't be late, especially in dining halls. You'll be starving yourself if you do.

I was about to enter my room when I noticed something posted on the door. It's a note--a pink one. It has a heart on it and it contains my name handwritten along with my room number. Then, I read the words that made me feel very awkward. Encoded, the words say, "RASHID, YOU LOOK COLD. WANT TO USE ME AS A BLANKET?" I was shocked. No, really really shocked. I looked behind my back and checked if there's someone. There's none so I immediately took that post and hurried inside the room. Inside, I dressed up and sat at my study table. I kept on staring at the message. Poor Rashid. Why do you feel so frightened? My mind was then clouded with a lot of questions: Who wrote and posted it? What could be the person's motivation? What is done to frighten me? To test me? Uh-oh. And then I realized that I'm in the United States. Is it really normal here? CULTURE SHOCK. That's it. I have to report this to the Residence Hall assistant. I may look stupid, but I have to.


But there are a lot of beautiful things here in the United States:

1. Computer access with internet connections are found almost everywhere in the campus and they’re for FREE.

2. While the rest of the world whines about the continuous oil price hike and the inflating price of oil per barrel, the United States (particularly in small cities like Bozeman) offers FREE bus ride to anyone along the city. Sounds cool, eh?

3. Whenever you're down the street and happen to cross an intersection, you're always given that privilege to cross first even a vehicle (which is way closer to the alley than you) is approaching. They always make you cross first. The vehicles stop and wait for you. The drivers even share their friendly smile to you. In the Philippines and in most ASEAN countries, you can never do that or else, you run the risk of injuring yourself. Haha. My co-scholars from ASEAN can attest to this. Even the one from Venezuela. We are all amazed and we give our smiles back.

4. Everything in the United States is BIG. The food serving, the toiletries etc. Once, we ate in a Chinese restaurant downtown. There's RICE in there. Each of us ordered of course. When the orders came, again, we were all astounded. That serving can feed a family of 5 in the Philippines! And I have to eat it alone. Haha. I ended up taking a portion of the food to the dormitory.

Enough for now. More to come later.

4 comments:

i am ara said...

im so naiiinggit. gosh. somebody thought you're HOT? ehem. wala lang. be stay rashid.

Rashid Vedra Pandi said...

Haha. I'll stay Rashid, don't worry about that. Anyway, yes I am hot...steaming hot! Haha. Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate it.

Piloto360 said...

Hi rash! Though unsolicited, this is what I can advise to you regarding the pink post. You can at least leave also a reply post (blue paper will do) on your door so she or "he" would know you are also "friendly". Hehehe! Joke lang. Ingat Akhi and Good Luck!

Sarip from Advance sa Akic said...

whoa! Sir Pandi.. did u joined a football league? nakz ospital diretso non! i heard na thats the way they welcome new students lalo pa't u came from outside their country.. may pamagat yan eh "the outlander" tama un na nga! do they have bullies in school? u should've replied that card saying "nah thanks anyway, i like cold weather. it makes me feel cool xD" but that would also look a bit absurd but atleast u can express that u didnt took it seriously but just a friendly joke since americans are fond of making pranks.. ang tanong "who's the mystery prankster" nakz! at "PENSIEVE" pa talaga ah! edeez Harry Potter fans din ako kay hilig din ako sa Libro.. pipirugo a ngirong ta sa math pero ok Lang naman ako sa english.. Idol!