Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dunkin' Donuts Blues

Before anything else, allow me to tell you that I have tons of schoolwork to do--programming projects, reading assigments, and a speech in my public communication class. Diyako tangka. However, I'm here working on the computer keys again--books closed. I set aside all of my schoolwork in exchange for this blog post. Lame.

So, what now?

I just had a webcam chat with my family today(technology, thank you). It's scheduled every Sunday, 1PM Philippine Timezone (so it's 11PM, Saturday here). My mom, brother (yes, the Emo), and two younger siblings were on the other side of the screen to check on me. I learned from my mom that papang was too hungry (kapupuwasaan) to ever join them in the internet cafe 'sa pantag a PNB', as my mom would describe it. As usual, we had our kamustahan. My mom updates me with the happenings at home and in the family. There's nothing really special, aside from the fact the my brother Bentong cannot be in the top 3 among the whole Kindergarten class in Aba Al-Khail because he is in the second section. (For the record, the highest average is 93 from the other section. His is 92.) He should have been in the top 2, and I'm positive he will definitely make in the top spot. Sayang. This reminds me when I was in my freshman year in HS. I was on the top section, but since a student from Section C obtained an average higher than mine (a difference of 0.20), she grabbed the top spot. My brother unfortunately can't have the same fate, but he's learning and that is what's most important. He is a bright kiddo.

Anyway, Bentong is not the star in this blog. It's Ai-ai, the youngest member of the family. Usually when I talk with them, I don't show any sign of weakness at all. I don't want them to worry about me. They have nothing to worry about really. I'm perfectly fine here. However, just recently, I went melodramatic again. My sister made me cry with these words from her over the headset and the webcam:

"Kuya Atoy, baling kaden mapita owm? Mbantay ta peman sa Finding Nemo ago Lion King. Matiti kaden baling. Baling kaden mapita ah? Dinga lipati so dunkin' aken owm."

("Kuya Atoy, come home tomorrow okay? We will watch Finding Nemo and Lion King together again. What's taking you so long? You go home tomorrow okay? Don't forget my (dunkin') donuts.")

And then I burst in tears. When she noticed that I was crying, she curiously asked, "inokanan penggoraok (why are you crying?)". How I wish I could tell her that I BADLY want to go home and watch movie with her. I wish she'd understand that we will see each other 8 months from now, inshaallah. That's a long wait. In these times, I wish I were a child like her--completely immuned of the worries of the world, and sometimes, the sad realities in life. As a result, my mom went sobbing too (and so are most of the people in that internet cafe). Geez. From the other side of the screen, I can see the internet cafe's attendant sobbing with my mom too, and so are some students from JPI (yes, they're in their uniform). Weird.

To my younger sister Ai-ai, see you soon inshaallah. I'm always reminded of you everytime I eat donuts in the cafeteria, everytime I watch any Disney Pixar production, and everytime I come accross with any young girl of your age. I love you and I miss you so much. Kuya Atoy will be home soon, inshaallah. We can watch Enchanted again (and sing the OST together once more). Or perhaps Lion King (memorized na ata naming dalawa ang script/dialogue ng mga movie na eto: Lion King, Finding Nemo, Enchanted, and some Barbie series like Fairytopia, Mermaidia etc). We watch these movies almost everyday, and oftentimes, she asks me to explain some parts of the movie that she doesn't understand.

I'll be home soon, and yes, I'll take a dozen of your favorite donuts with me.


(The picture above was taken a day before I left for the United States. I woke up early to send my brother Bentong to school. I woke my sister early too, just to take this picture of them together.)

8 comments:

saif said...

"Missing her could turn from pain to pleasure, if you knew she were missing you too." alam ko naman naman na namimiss karin niya kuya Rush. Kea no worry..jeje

in fairness nakakarelate rin ako noong lumayas ako sa house, isa yung 4 years old niece ko bakit ako nakauwi kasi namisssss ko na tlga siya...

do you know that The best feeling in the world is to be millions of miles away and still be able to picture her eye? just try to divert yourself from thinking "so long ai ai".. Rush always ka naman wala sa house niyo b4 always may debate, camping, trips, etc. kea cguro sanay ka naman. Of course eto na ata yung pnaka matgal so far. but to think meron pang mas mtgal, when you get your job na. kea training na jud ni Rush.

Rush I can't give any advise 'cos I knew na alam mo naman what dapat mong gawin to coup up from that stress. I can't council a person na alam kong mas may krapatan siyang e council ako...jejeje

anyways this is one of the great write up you made... (worst yung sa M.V recently) jejeje Peace^_^

miss you so much Rush.

saif said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JELAN said...

Wow, for many reasons many people miss your presence Rash...Every success in life entails a little sacrifice...sooner you will reap what you toil and I am sure that you will enjoy every moment of it...Caio..Merci...Suhkran...May Allah(S.W.T) guide your way...

--your greatest fan--

HajE said...

alai tagalogin q naH..grabe supEr n touch aq..while bnBsa q nppLuha aq!!!huhuhuhu!!!! talgng n mizz knla..of courz kmi dn noH.. 8s lyk reading a novel..n dramaitc..tsEee..drama mo nman jan? magtiis k nlng jan...sOon uUwi k dn nman???? Hmmpp...

kabukee said...

you're not alone...nafefeel ko din yan ngayon...mabuti ka pa, nakakausap mo sila every week , ako sa friendster lang communication namin...

natouch ako sa story mo bapa..

Amerah jasmine said...

Oh my God! this is so touching! Rush, I am so delighted that you're doing pertty good. Well, As i was reading your blogs, I was laughing out loud because I can relate to what's going on with you. It's pretty much the same as mine. Yah, one of the highlights of my exchange year here in America is the use of pencil. It was funny though coz likewise, i feel like going back to elementary years. haha. But you did a great job! Your blogs are awesomely fantastic! Honestly, as i read this one, i was in tears it reminds me of my family too. I am no more homesick that much. The other day, when it snowed, i stayed out and showed all my emotions out in the snow. And now, i feel better. DOn't worry after all of this, we're gonna be back home again! Have fun and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Nice blogs. I cried while reading it. I miss my kids. Hopefully, I will go home this December to spend my winter break with them. Hold on there and sooner you will be home too.

,,,It's my turn... said...

"DUNKIN' DONUT BLUES"

(atlas!!! i made it....) hehehehe. matagal ko ng gustong magcomment lantoy,, hehe.

hmmmm.. bentong and ai ai were rily cute... ewan ko bakit may kuya lanoy cla.. ehe!!!
i must admit, Im touched with it. saka lang mo lang tlga mamimiss ang presence ng isang tao pag malayo na xa....

in your case noh, its kinda painful kasi kaw yong mas nakakaalam sa mga pngyayari.... pero u knw what?? iba man ang impact nyan sa mga bata. ang alam natin, they are less affected.. TAKE NOTE, it's NOT.... we are not aware na tandang tanda yan nila... as they grow older, they can still recall what had happen before...

just like you lantoy, you have so many experiences nung bata ka pa, mapadrama, mapacomedy, mapa action.. (eheheh)... all these memories are still in you... CLEAR and VISIBLE.. ryt???

naw... tiis lang lantoy. malapit ka na umuwi inshaALLAH.... bring home many donuts for your younger siblings... They miss u a lot.... matan, myati ka san mambu... balik ka ha with your feet still on the ground... owm??? hehehehehe

GOD bless!! till here na muna.
salam
-kaps-