Sunday, September 28, 2008

ESKWELA



Time flies very fast. I can't believe it! I've been here for two months already! Few weeks ago, I received an e-mail from Ms. Con regarding our courses for the fall semester. Here are the courses I am currently taking:


EE 261 – Introduction to Logic Circuits (3 credits)
CS 160 – Introduction to Computer Programming (Lab and Lecture; 4 credits)
CHEM 132 – General Chemistry II (Lab and Lecture; 4 credits)
COM 110 – Public Communication (Lecture and Recitation; 3 credits)
LS 301 – Leadership Seminar (1 credit)

I registered for a total of 15 credits. So far, I am doing well with my classes. In fact, I already had a taste of how exams go here in the United States. I had two major exams last Friday—in my chemistry and logic circuits classes. Surprisingly, I got the result for my chemistry last Monday. Very quick! I got 87 out of 100 in my first chemistry exam. Actually, I'm contented with my score. However, I was expecting more. I'm going to curse that single problem I missed which cost me 9 points! Nevertheless, I believe that this is a good start for me. I have 5 more major exams to do in chemistry, aside from my lab classes which run from 6:10PM-9:00PM every Wednesday. It's very exhausting. I'm just glad that our teaching assistant is very accommodating. I don't have the result for my other exam yet.

All of my subjects are “introductory” courses. However, they don't really are. For example, in my computer programming class, we were already asked to make our personal web page after only 6 classroom sessions (two weeks). I was really surprised. Making my personal web page caused me sleepless nights for a couple of days. For a glimpse of the output of those sleepless nights, kindly click this URL:
http://www.cs.montana.edu/~rashid.pandi. It displays several relevant information about my classes, and other fun stuffs. Aside from this web page, I am currently working on my graphics design in my computer programming class. We are working on a graphic of a Panda! Usually, these types of programming projects are final requirements in my university's computer science class. Here, I'm working on them on the first three weeks of school. Imagine how surprising could that be. My computer programming class is very challenging.

Anyway I am most confident in my public communication class. I'm enjoying it a lot. In our recitation class, we were asked to deliver an impromptu speech about any soap-box topic on our first day of class. We delivered our speeches along with visual aids (transparencies). Two days after,in our lecture class (which has 120 students in it), my professor used my speech and visual aid as an example in class! I can't believe my eyes. Am I really seeing my work and my name in the projector screen? Magyayabang muna ako ha? David, our instructor said,”This guys from the Philippines did a very impressive speech in his recitation class.” He then put my slide projector, and everyone in the class saw it! He then called my name, and I shyly raised my hand. I was at my proudest that day! I received an A+ for that. My first (and hopefully not my last) A+ here! I'm not just going to highlight the good things though. Lately, I've been skipping classes (just two classes). I hardly wake up early. I don't know if my alarm clock didn't work in those days, or maybe I was really in deep sleep that I haven't heard it rang. I promised myself I'm not going to skip any class anymore. It reminds me of the number one rule all of my professors emphasized: If you want to pass this course, GO TO CLASS!

Now for the funnier side. Here are the ten things I want to highlight:

1. I use pencils in class instead of pens. I have a big eraser too! At first, it felt weird and unusual. However, I'm now used to it. It's convenient, and almost every student in the class uses pencils! “Balik tayo sa Kindergarten nito”, I always tell Ella.


2. My first time to use an engineering paper. When my engineering professor announced our first homework, he said it should be written in an engineering paper. Kawawang Rashid. Walang kamuwang-muwang. I did search for it, and it looks like a graphing paper lang pala.

3. I and my co-UGRAD scholars moved to our new rooms—the library! Our library is a perfect place to study! It has almost everything. Coffee stand, computers, printers, copiers and small rooms for group study sessions. We stay in the library until 12 midnight at least three times a week.

4. I volunteered to be a member of the organizing committee of the Global Culture Club. We organize many events for the international students every weekend. Speaking of weekends, allow me to tell you that I have never appreciated the phrase “Thank God It's Friday” until I came here.

5. I have two drawers of grocery now. I hardly eat the sack meals the dining hall provides for Ramadhan. I cook food myself. As a result, the food they give me everyday ends up in my drawers. I have dozens of soda, bottled juices, cookies, apples, yogurt, popcorn, bagels, chips, and many more! Sometimes, I throw a mini-party for my co-scholars.

6. I had my first haircut here in the United States the other day. I realized that barbers don't take haircutting seriously here as much as Filipino barbers back home do. Ang bilis na proseso! Hindi man lang tiningnan ang mga anggulo. Gupit lang ng gupit. Worse of all, my haircut cost me $14 dollars. It reminded me of David's Salon or Gandang Ricky Reyes—they would have made a lot of difference to my look! Too bad.

7. I had to visit Wikipedia to learn about football so that the next time I watch a football game, I will know when and when not to shout or cheer. Funny.

8. I go to gym now. I play badminton with some friends at least twice a week (mostly every Friday). I gained weight too! My mother was very delighted.


9. We are doing our community service and volunteer work now. This week we are helping a merchant from Bolivia sell his Alpaca wool items in the university. All proceeds go to the Alpaca Wool Coop in a small town in Bolivia. World Learning approved it. Next week, Ella and I are invited to make a presentation about the Philippines in one of the middle schools in town.

10. Ramadhan is almost over! The dining hall will open its doors for me few days from now!

I am having the time of my life here. Homesickness seem to slowly fade away. I talk to my family at least once a week. Life is soaring for me here. School is very demanding, but it's fun. I'm getting used to three homeworks a night.

That's it!

3 comments:

sueyacs said...

First things first, I’d have to do an apology (big time) to the owner of this blog. He told me about this fancy little site the moment he created it -months ago, and I promised to give it a visit. Well, I guess I just got so tangled up with work lately. So this is me, making that promise a reality-for the first time. (hehe)
-----------------------------------

To My Dearest Lantoy, my little brother (not so little now):

- for battling all those challenges and complexities life is slapping in front of you right now. Still smiling and managing to fashion comic stories albeit the pains of being away from home, family and friends.

- for achieving so much at a young age. Hugs and numerous Kisses to that recent A+ of yours, for the hard work and the unwavering diligence to excel. The authentic love for education and the enthusiasm towards learning will continue to empower you. Truly, only those that deserves it, gets the Win-win in the end.

- for keeping your faith strong and never forgetting to always count on our Lord and Savior above. For staying humble and keeping your feet on the groud amidst the biggest triumphs and achievements drowning that are almost drowning and overwhelming.
- for simply being wonderful, true and a blessing to the lives of others and to the rest of the world.
-----------------------------------
Couldn’t be any prouder…!

Enjoy every single moment like you’re down to your last breath…

You deserve all the joy and success…

We’ll be here when you get home- ready for that “BIG, BIG,HUG”…

Missing you more everyday…

-Ate Suey-

Rashid Vedra Pandi said...

Ate! I am deeply touched by your comment. Thanks a lot Ate, for always being there--ups and downs. You are part of this journey. You know me. My life has already been an open book to you. I appreciate everything that you do for me.

I love you so much. Looking forward to seeing you soon. =)

,,,It's my turn... said...

"TWO_THUMBS UP"


---- gnan ei standing ka lantoy regrding sa pag-aaral natin jan,, hehehe. just keep it up. study pa... and use it in a good way... alam mo naman what to do.. keep the faith lantoy... lets be thankful for always.. para mas lalong madgdagan mga bleesings natin. Ameen.